24 October 2005

Childhood Memories : Food Fiesta



Leilanie tag me on this.. and of course I got hooked up to the topic... Food and me is a permanent relationship!! I must say I am a very "all rounded person", when it comes to food... except Japanese food... sorry... but the taste of the raw fish, that green wasabi, I am still thinking of how can I best adapt to the taste.. I will definitely try!! Seriously will try... somehow I can hear Azhan's voice say..."YEAH RIGHT"...

Hmm... 5 food eehhhh?? When I was a little girl, these are my favourites:

My mom is the best when it comes to this Bubur Nasi Ikan Bilis (Rice noodle with fried anchovies). She just has the finest touch to make the bubur become the world class bubur.. in my opinion back then as a 6 years old! In fact still do...... my girls used to question me.. how come you bubur is not as nice as Tok Cek's?
(note : Tok Cek = Grandma)
Next is the lompat tikam.. (jump and stab... kah.. kah.. direct translation) very classic traditional dessert - made from rice flour & served with glutinous rice (usually red in colour), coconut milk. But guess what? When I was small, my grandma made us liquidised the rice with this huge heavy instrument, and then stir the rice water (greenly coloured using daun pandan) and cooked till it hardened....... phewwed! Now you can buy this in Kelantan for just RM0.50 a pack!
(note : daun pandan = very nice smell leaf used to add flavour and green colour by pounding the leaves)
I also like this talam ubi, grated tapiocca cooked with coconut milk and sugar. Yummmmy.. grandma likes to do that too.. as dessert during Iftar (buka puasa). I guess my childhood memories has a lot of my grandma in it..... she's the best cook! I guess she kindda become very good in cooking since she was married at the age of 14!! That's remind me of myself... married when I was barely 24 years old and my friends think I'm too young to start a family...... duhhhhhhhh......
Of course I also have the western taste lah...... the baked macaroni with chicken... another favourite dish that my mom used to make...... only that she can't really afford it way back in 1983... I was only 9 years old. I remember she has to literally sliced the chicken thinly to make enough pieces to go in her baking tray....or else we will say that "there is no chicken taste!", And now, when I think of it, I want to buy her a dozen chicken everyday!!
Lastly of course my favourite ketupat sotong (small octopus stuffed with glutinous rice and cooked in coconut milk and brown sugar). Another expensive dish that mom can barely afford to do. Now, at the Ramadhan Bazaar nearby my place, the stall owner are selling ketupat sotong at RM 1 each piece..... can you believe that? I was soooooooo tempted to ask mom to open a stall too and sell ketupat sotong at half the price!! Man........ they really make money!
Okay, I'm done.. manage to survive the writing without actually scream... I'M HUNGRY..!!
So, here's what you have to do, if you're tagged.
Remove the blog at #1 from the following list and bump every one up one place;
Add your blog's name in the #5;
Link to each of the other blogs for the desired-pollination effect:
And try to do the "total recall"... it helps to remember back the old days... we're never that old anyway!!

2 comments:

Leilanie said...

Syok makan bubur........
(one of my favourite now) - for the sake of vanity!

I like the talam ubi, too.
But ketupat sotong - hmm, that's something I got to try!

kimi azhan said...

Lanie dear,

thks for droping by. yup, you've got to taste the ketupat sotong.. look for stall selling rasa timur - sure got one!! In case I forget, selamat hari raya to you, maaf zahir batin!